So I was kind of a tease last week if you follow me on instagram (happyfitmama) or on Facebook. I posted this picture:
The wait is over! Here’s the recipe for this yummy and light cookie, perfect for summer.
Vegan Zucchini-Lemon Cookies
1 medium zucchini, shredded
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 c almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c coconut oil, melted
1/2 c pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Place shredded zucchini in colander lined with paper towels. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flours, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In large bowl or stand mixer, bet the coconut oil for 1 minute. Add the pure maple syrup and beat 1-2 minutes more. Add vanilla, lemon zest and almond milk until combined. Add the flour mixture in batches and mix till combined. Fold in zucchini.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop dough into balls. Place on cookie sheet and slightly flatten each cookie with your fingers.
- Bake 13-16 minutes or until barely golden brown. They will set as they cool.
I’ve been experimenting with almond flour since the nice people at Swanson Vitamins sent me a bag of Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour.
You might remember I also made an Almond Flour Dutch Baby. The one thing that surprised me the most when I started using almond flour was that it didn’t have a distinct almond taste. I guess I thought it would since it’s made up entirely of blanched whole almonds. Click HERE for another great recipe with almond flour that I have on my list to make.
I also received a bottle of Krill Oil. I’ve been taking krill oil since February. I can’t say I notice an extreme difference in my health because I felt good before I started taking it.
Krill oil essentially has the same benefits as fish oil – heart health protection, PMS relief, joint protection, etc. Some studies suggest krill oil has more Omega 3’s than fish oil. I have taken fish oil in the past and had the same results – I didn’t feel any different. I will say that the krill oil does not produce “fish burps” as some fish oil does. Just an FYI, if you take fish oil and you get the fish burps, put the bottle in the freezer. It eliminates the burps. Pleasant thought, no?
Questions of the Day
What’s your favorite alternative flour? Leave a link with your favorite recipe in the comments to share with everyone!
Do you take any supplements? In addition to the krill oil, I take a multivitamin.