On Saturday I ran 16.5 miles.
It’s been over a year since I’ve run that many miles and spent that much time on my feet. When you haven’t done it in awhile, you forget about how much can happen during those 2 hours of running.
It’s a lot of time to have a lot of thoughts.
My thoughts on a long run are usually all over the place. Some are quite wacky. Thankfully, I had company for 11 of those miles which made a world of difference and was quite marvelous (thanks for the link up Katie)! But still, even with company, I find I have random thoughts that pop into my head. I try to keep the crazy thoughts from spewing out when running with friends. But sometimes, when it comes out, it makes for some really interesting conversations!
And apparently, I am really into numbers/countdowns/lists lately. Just another thing I think about on a long run…
Here are 16 random thoughts from a long run:
1. 16 miles…I can do this!
2. Oy! I feel achy and stiff. How am I going to get through 16 miles like this?
3. Remember – Never base a run on the first mile…or 2.
4. Why did I pick the route with all the mega hills?
5. I’m feeling good! I could run for miles.
6. It’s really hard to run, chew, breathe and carrying on a conversation all at the same time.
7. Cyclists! I wish I was on a bike right now. Lance Armstrong…I’m still mad at him.
8. There’s a chipmunk. There’s another. And another. Why are there so many chipmunks? Do chipmunks attack people?
9. The water is so pretty!
10.On an out and back route – Yay! Time to turn around. Boo. I have to go back the way I came.
11. I should run an ultra.
12. I will never run an ultra.
13. Ugh…hello driver! Pay attention to the road not your phone! You F*ck#&g Idiot!
14. What’s up with my IT band? Should I stop and stretch? I’m almost done.
15. Seriously, up hill with one mile to go? I want to walk. But I shouldn’t. Yes, I should. No! Keep running. Maybe I should stop? It’s only one mile?
16. Done! I’m off to sit in a cold kiddie pool. That wasn’t so bad. I could run at least another 10 miles right now.
What are your thoughts from a long run?