It’s hard to believe that it’s been just one week since I ran the Vermont City Marathon. The first two days afterwards I was so sore! The worst DOMS I ever experienced. It was quite comical to see all the other marathoners hobbling around on Monday around our hotel and in Burlington. I tried walking quickly after my son and was almost brought to tears! By Wednesday I was much better but my hamstrings and quads were still super tight. Finally by Thursday I was feeling human again. I credit all the walking I did immediately after the race back to our car (all up hill – Oy!) and the following two days while we were in Burlington. I also hit up the hotel pool and did gentle yoga poses to ease the tension.
So now that the marathon is over, what does life after 26.2 miles look like? Friday was the first day that I felt my body start to crave running again. I know my body needs rest after all the training I’ve done for the past 4+ months. The last time I took an extended break from running was in mid January. I don’t want to lose any of my fitness/endurance that I’ve gained but I don’t want to be injured either. Research shows that even though you may be ready to run again, the marathon has left damage on the cellular level and skeletal muscles that need rest to fully recover. If that’s not reason enough, even elite runners take time off post marathon.
My right foot is still sore and not 100% so I’m laying off running for maybe another week or so. I’ll be hitting my bike, walking, strength training and getting back to my yoga practice (I’m trying out a new studio too!). Saturday morning I had a great ride down to the bay.
During the ride I started thinking about all the time I spent on my bike last summer after my knee injury. I’ve come a long way from there and I don’t want to go back anytime soon. If taking a couple weeks off from running helps, I’m doing it.
Last week I mentioned that I am now an ambassador for kindrunner.com. Over the weekend their site finally launched and is now fully operational.
KindRunner.com is different than other online retailers. Here’s some of their unique offers:
- Confident Runner Pricing – An option presented upon checkout which rewards those who know exactly what they are looking for. This option waives the Free Return Shipping but offers the shoe at a below retail price. Shipping of product to customer is still free, as is the return shipping of donated shoes for Kindness Cash Rewards Program.
- Free 3 Way Shipping – Free shipping of your order to you, free shipping of any returns for any reason, free shipping of your donated shoes back to us for re-purposing with Soles 4 Souls or The More Foundation Group.
- Kindness Cash Rewards Program – KCR are available to the customer after any footwear purchase (the idea behind this is to replace your old shoes with new ones, and keep the old ones out of the garbage, landfills, or ones closet… thus why it is available after footwear purchase). Upon receipt of their footwear order, customers have the option to place their old shoes into the KindRunner shipping box and place the pre-paid return label on the box for shipment back to us. Upon receipt of the label, we will scan the bar code and place the KCR onto the customers account for future use. Each return label (whether it contain one pair or 4 pairs of shoes) is worth $10 KCR per new shoes purchased (5 pairs purchased on that order, you can earn up to $50 KCR) or credits towards future purchase. The KCR can be used to purchase ANYTHING that kindrunner sells and will never expire.
- Expert Product Reviews – Each and every product comes with an expert product review video on the same page that the product is listed on. These videos are done by individuals who have worked in the running industry for a number of years either as shoe reps, store owners, or expert shoe fitters at one of the oldest running stores in the nation. We bring the knowledge of your neighborhood specialty run shop to the comforts of your own home!
- Easy 365 returns – A customer has 365 days to return any product, so long as it is in its original packaging and in its original condition. If you are injured and unable to use the shoe, if your doctor wants you in a different model because of orthotics, no worries… no questions asked!
- You could win Free Socks for Life to the first 500 customers! Each time one of our first 500 customers returns and purchases a new shoe their order will ship with a free pair of socks of their choice from our sock inventory. As long as this customer continues to run, they will continue to get socks from kindrunner.com!
Pretty cool perks for just ordering shoes that you would have bought anyway. I think I need to do some shopping asap!
For all the latest on KindRunner:
Do you embrace rest periods?