I love banana bread.
The problem is that we never have enough ripe bananas in our house to make a loaf or muffins. I buy at least 15-20 bananas for the week and we still run out by Friday.
What can I say, we love our bananas!
Have you heard of the Chiquita Banana Cooking Lab Contest? Just create a unique recipe that includes this week’s 3 ingredients (every week is different), until Nov. 24th. The Grand Prize winner who will WIN $4,000 and have their recipe featured in Chiquita’s banana recipe collection.
This week the 3 ingredients were Chiquita bananas, chocolate chips and cream cheese. It’s no surprise then that the first idea that popped into my mind was banana bread.
But, alas, we only had one ripe banana.
So the idea of a single serving Banana Bread Mug Cake came to mind. And to make it a little bit more decadent, why not add a cream cheese frosting?
I usually have a really poor track record with mug cakes. Exploding mug cakes are my specialty. But this one? I nailed it. So freaking good!
- 2 TB flour of your choice (I used coconut flour)
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp brown sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
- ¼ Cup milk (I used Unsweetened Almond Milk)
- ½ ripe banana, mashed
- 1 TB nut butter of your choice (I used peanut butter)
- Splash of pure vanilla extract
- Sprinkle of mini chocolate chips
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 TB cream cheese
- Sprinkle of mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine flour, baking powder and brown sugar in a microwavable mug or bowl. Stir till mixed.
- Add milk, stirring till no clumps remain. Add mashed banana and nut butter. Mix well. Add mini chocolate chips.
- Cook in microwave for 2½ minutes.
- Remove from microwave and allow to cool while making cream cheese frosting.
- For cream cheese frosting - In a small microwavable bowl, place cream cheese and mini chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 10 seconds to soften. Stir till combined.
- Frost cooled Banana Bread Cake.
Quick, easy, delicious and ready in 5 minutes. Perfect for anytime you want banana bread but don’t have enough ripe bananas.
Since it’s Sunday, it’s meal planning day.
What’s for dinner this week:
Sunday – Fish tacos + broccoli slaw salad
Monday – Chicken sausage, butternut squash pasta bake
Tuesday - Crockpot Two Bean Veggie Chili
Wednesday – Lentil Tacos
Thursday – Simple Pumpkin Soup
Friday – Leftovers
Saturday – Dinner out
What’s your favorite quick bread?
What are you having for dinner this week?
I am promoting this contest as a member of the Moms MeetSM
program, May Media Group LLC,. As a Moms MeetSM blogger, I agreed to use this product and create an original recipe on my blog. My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of May Media Group LLC or the manufacturer of