I love smoothies. But the problem is that I usually drink it in 5 minutes and then am searching for something else soon after. I need to work my chompers. I need the chew.
Enter the smoothie bowl.
Over the years, I’ve been randomly making smoothie bowls. But when we were in Hawaii, I fell in love with Acai bowls. SO good! I knew I had to try to recreate it once we got home. With the endless winter that soon followed, a cold smoothie was the last thing that I wanted.
But once the weather started warming up, I got back into it. Around the same time, my daughter decided that she didn’t really like smoothies anymore. All that changed once she saw what went into a smoothie bowl.
She’s just like her mama – it’s all about the toppings!
A smoothie bowl is simply a smoothie served in a bowl and topped with granola, nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, fresh fruit — whatever your heart desires!
Dream big, people – the options are endless.
This recipe calls for simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand. You can really make this with any fruit and any topping. It’s also a great way to sneak fresh spinach or kale into your daily eats if you so desire.
Full of superfoods and healthy fats, this bowl of goodness will keep you satisfied for hours.
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder ( I used Orgain Vanilla Bean) OR ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 spoonful nut butter of your choice (I used almond)
- Optional: Fresh spinach or kale
- Sliced banana
- Fresh berries
- Chia seed
- Hemp Seed
- Nut butter
- Place all ingredients for the smoothie in a high powered blender or food processor. Blend till smooth and creamy. Add more almond milk to thin if desired.
- Pour into a bowl and top with desired toppings.
And don’t think smoothie bowls are just for breakfast.
They are good morning, noon and night!
Here are more of my favorite smoothie recipes that are just as good in a bowl as in a glass: