This post was created in partnership with Stonyfield. All opinions are my own.
It is finally here. For months we were stuck in the Polar Vortex, freezing our tushes off, wishing for this time of year. How I longed to feel warmth!
When I think of summer, I think of the sunshine, the beach, fresh fruit and veggies and ice cream to keep me cool on a hot, sticky day.
One of my favorite summer fruits are strawberries.
There is nothing better than a fresh picked strawberry from a farm. All winter long I dream of it. Over the marvelous weekend, we headed out to a local farm for our first pick of the season. The plants were picked over quite a bit by the time we got there so we really had to hunt for the perfect strawberry. There may have been some Frankenberries that made their way into our containers.
As we were driving home, we started to brainstorm ideas on what to make with our haul.
Strawberry pie? Strawberry jam?
And then Ron suggested Strawberry Chocolate Chip Frozen Yogurt.
[Tweet “Enjoy a fresh, summer treat – Strawberry Chocolate Chip Frozen Yogurt @stonyfield #froyo “]
I’ve had an ice cream maker for years but have only used it a handful of times. But since we made this recipe, I want to use it weekly. It is so good! I can’t wait to try this recipe with fresh blueberries, raspberries, blackberries…the sky’s the limit!
- 2 cups thinly sliced, hulled fresh strawberries
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups organic plain yogurt (I used whole fat)
- ½ cup milk of your choice ( I used 2%)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Freeze ice cream maker per manufacturer directions.
- Combine strawberries, coconut sugar and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl. Let sit for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Once strawberries have sat for 2 hours, pour through a strainer and reserve juice.
- In a blender or food processor, combine yogurt, milk, vanilla, coconut sugar and strawberry juice. Blend till smooth.
- Pour combination into prepared ice cream maker, processing till smooth (approximately 25 minutes)
- During the last few minutes of churning, add sliced strawberries and mini chocolate chips.
- Scoop into large glass dish. Freeze till firm.
What food makes you think of summer?