Let’s talk about running up one big hill first.
See that little road going up the mountain? I found out Friday that I will be running 7.6 miles on that road in June in the Mount Washington Road Race. Holy cow!! I’m excited about the marvelous news but scared out of my mind.
The scary thing isn’t running 7.6 miles. Or the heights. It’s how will my body deal with the incline. More specifically training for the incline of the race. With an average incline of 12% and the max 22% at the summit, I’m quite worried about how my calves and Achilles will respond. As you know, my running history revolves around those two troubled areas. I’ll be spending a lot of time running uphill – treadmill mostly – to condition my body for the work. I know I need to gradually increase the stress and stay on top of my foam rolling to keep everything happy. It’s hard not to think about the “what if’s”. One run at a time, right? Oh boy. Deep breath. I got this!
OK, let’s talk yogurt.
I’m super excited about two of Stonyfield’s newest products.
Stonyfield Grass-Fed Yogurt
I’m sure you have heard about grass-fed beef before and how it’s a better choice. But did you know that there is now grass-fed milk and yogurt? If you are like me, you are probably wondering – If this is from grass-fed cows, what did they eat before?
Here’s the deal – If a product is labeled organic, the USDA organic standards require only 30% of a cow’s diet to come from eating in a pasture and the remaining 70% of their diet can be from organic oats and other grains. That’s a huge difference in the key nutrients that can come from only being grass fed.
Some of the benefits of milk that comes from 100% grass-fed cows is a higher level of omega-3 fatty acids and lower in omega-6 fatty acids. Also, there is no GMOs, synthetic pesticides and herbicides used in organic cow feed or pastures. And of course, there is no use of artificial growth (rBGH) hormones.
The USDA does not regulate the grass-fed claims just like the term “all-natural”. To protect the integrity of 100% grass-fed farming and the to educate consumers on the benefit of it, a new certification system was formed. You can now look for the Pennsylvania Certified Organic (PC) label on products that claim to be grass-fed. If it’s there, you know it’s the real deal. And it’s on Stonyfield’s new 100% Grass-Fed Yogurt!
With plain, blueberry, vanilla and strawberry flavors, it is in fact the real deal. Compared to regular yogurt, the flavor stands out more. The vanilla was my favorite and perfect alone or with granola sprinkled in.
Stonyfield Whole Milk Greek Yogurt
I love Greek yogurt and now that Stonyfield has a whole milk version, I am more in love than ever. Plain fat free Greek yogurt tastes OK but it does have a certain taste that not a lot of people can tolerate. Now that we know that fat is NOT the enemy that we pegged it to be in the 90’s, it’s time to get back some flavor. Enter whole milk Greek yogurt – SO much creamier and better tasting! I’m usually a oatmeal for breakfast kind of gal but I have been digging the whole milk plain Greek with fresh fruit and granola lately. I can’t get enough!
And with the addition of the little separate sidecars for the flavoring, like honey (my absolute fav!), blueberry and cherry, it’s genius. My kids like to dip and mix. OK, so do I. Who doesn’t like to play with their food? The great thing about it is that you can add a little or all of it – you customize it to your taste buds.
The new Stonyfield products are available now. To find your nearest retailer, search HERE. For me, I haven’t seen the 100% Grass-Fed yet in any of our local stores. But the Whole Milk Greek is everywhere.
Have you ever run an all uphill race? Got any tips?
Have you tried the new Stonyfield 100% Grass-fed or Whole Milk Greek yogurts?
Disclosure: I’m a brand ambassador for Stonyfield Organics. I am compensated and receive product samples. All opinions are always my own.