Over the weekend, I ran my longest distance to date since November – 9 miles. It felt great. I felt strong. I felt light. I felt on fire. I even finished with negative splits! I like how the progress is going. I noticed my tendon was a little bit tender later in the day as I ran to keep up with my daughter on her bike. I don’t like that but I stretched and foam rolled some more and it’s feeling good again. Slow and steady wins the race, right?
As I stepped out the door to begin my run, I felt different. Lighter. Like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Was it that I didn’t have 10,000 layers on?
It was more of what I smelled.
It smelled like Spring.
Dirt. Mud. But at the same time clean, new, fresh. It smelled marvelous. I took a deep breath in and started off.
Spring has sprung!
To celebrate this glorious turn of events, I declared that I will not wear full length tights till at least December. Of course, temps are still in the 30s but I simply refuse to acknowledge that. I also started to think of what I’d like to do with running now that I’m coming out of hibernation (aka off my treadmill in the basement).
7 Running Things to Do for Spring
- Get outside! – First and foremost. I tolerate the treadmill but I’m missing the fresh air, the birds, the sunrise. With the warmer temps and gaining morning daylight every day, I’m so ready to return to running primarily outside again.
- Hit the trails. – Most of the trails around me are still covered in deep snow. I’m hoping the warmer temps and rain will get rid of it. Of course, mud season is in full effect so I may have to wait awhile for this one unless I want to lose a shoe or two.
- Run with friends. – I’ve been absent from group runs for far too long. I miss the conversations. The stories. The support. The fun. The laughter. Even if I can get in one or two runs with a friend or a group a week, I’ll be happy. They make me a better runner just by association!
- Hit the track. – I’ve never been a huge fan of the track. I tend to do much of my speed work on the treadmill which is so much easier. The belt’s moving and I just need to keep up. With the track, it’s all me. No help from anything. It’s time to get out of my comfort zone and get uncomfortable.
- Start a running group. – This ties in with all of the above. I know there are people in my community who want to run. I want to share my love of running and in the process make some new friends. It’s a winning situation for all!
- Plan – I want to do a marathon in the Fall. Which one? I have no idea. However, there is potential for something very, very cool that I hope to be a part of. I’ll keep you posted on what develops!
- Run and love it! – I love running no matter what but I want to run everywhere and everything. 5ks, 10ks, half marathon, marathon, trails, on the beach. Wherever, I’m going to run it and love it.
What’s on your running or fitness TO DO List?
Is it feeling Spring-like in your area?