After 2 days of running posts, I think it’s time for a little food talk.
When I posted my meal plan for this week, I had a few people ask for the recipe for the Roasted Corn Black Bean Soup.
This recipe originally came from a patient of mine a few years ago. It was quite funny when she was telling us about it, she kept on calling it Roasted Con Chili. What’s a con? Some dude in a orange jumpsuit is part of the recipe? It finally dawned on us that she was saying CORN. Gotta love the New England accent!
Over the years I’ve tweaked the recipe to our own liking. I like it more soupy than chili so I eliminated some of the extra beans. I also add in extra veggies sometimes too. Kale and diced zucchini are excellent additions. You can roast the corn yourself if you choose. I like the convenience of Trader Joe’s pre-roasted corn. Plus, there’s no chance of forgetting about it in the oven and burning it!
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion, Minced
- 1 Red, Yellow Or Orange Pepper (or combination), diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 14.5 Oz Vegetable Broth
- 15 Oz Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 Oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Trader Joe's Roasted Corn
- ½ Cup Zucchini, diced (optional)
- Additional optional toppings:
- Shredded Cheese
- Yogurt or Sour Cream
- Place 1 Tbsp olive oil in Dutch Oven over medium-high heat.
- Add red onion and pepper. Cook till softened.
- Add garlic, cumin and chili powder and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn and zucchini (if using).
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Serve with toppings such as diced avocado, shredded cheese, yogurt or sour cream and cilantro.
This soup is a staple in our house during the Fall and Winter. It’s super easy to make even on busy weeknights. You can easily adjust the spices to your taste too. I tend to like things more spicy so I may add in more chili powder.
Do you have a “staple” recipe in your house?
More ways to follow Happy Fit Mama:
Twitter → @happyfitmama
Facebook → Happy Fit Mama
Instagram → HAPPYFITMAMA
Pinterest → HappyFitMama