Lately I’ve been feeling blah about my running workouts. I’m bored. I’ve hit a plateau. Whenever I say the word, ‘plateau’ I think of grade school science class and this pops into my head.
Flat. Boring. I prefer steep peaks of mountains. Not sharp drop offs. There are many plateaus you may encounter in life – career, weight loss, relationships. So what does one do when they hit a workout plateau? Here’s some tried and true tips:
- Interval training. Add bouts of increased speed and/or incline to your treadmill workouts. Up the cross ramp or resistance on the elliptical.
- Try a new workout. Do you run every Monday, Wednesday, Friday? Why not substitute a day of cycling instead. You’ll use different muscles that running doesn’t touch. A subtle little wake up call to your body to change things up!
- What are you eating? Are you getting enough nutrients from your food? Eating more junk than usual? Your body may be telling you to clean things up a bit.
- Sleep. Are you getting enough sleep at night? Sleep is vital in helping our bodies recover from workouts. If you are skimping on the shut eye, it may be leaving you feeling blah about everyday things.
- Sign up for an event or race. A set goal is always a good motivator.
So what am I going to do about my plateau and running blahs. Guess who signed up for a race??
Wallis Sands Half Marathon – I can’t pass this race up. It’s my old neighborhood! Ron and I rented a little house a block from the ocean in Rye when we first moved to New Hampshire 6 years ago. I love Rye and wished we still lived there. Plus, the course is super flat. My kind of race!
I’ll be posting my training plan soon. I had great success with a Smart Coach plan in November so I think I might stick with it. Anyone have a great training plan for a half that they would recommend?
There is another race that I signed up for but I’m keeping that a secret right now. It’s my back up race if I can’t find what I want for the summer. I’m excited to tell you all once it’s confirmed!
I really enjoy sharing my own personal workouts, recipes, and random health related things with everyone. You have seen what I like to write about but I thought it might be fun to see what YOU the readers would like to read more about. So I’m taking requests! What do you want more of on Happy Fit Mama? Yoga? Strength training? Treadmill workouts? Heart rate training? I’m open to anything (please keep it clean, people!). If I don’t know anything about a topic, I’ll research it to try to find an answer.
If you have a request, please feel free to leave a comment or email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org
I look forward to hearing what the people want!
Make sure you check me out on Fitblogger!
How do you bust out of a workout plateau?
What do you want to see more of on Happy Fit Mama?