This is a sponsored post on behalf of Barleans. All opinions, as always, are my own.
There is no doubt that I am a snacker.
I can’t eat just 3 meals a day. I need something in between to hold me over till my next meal. When I don’t snack, it’s not a pretty sight. The hungry monster comes out. Just picture the Incredible Hulk and that’s me.
My kids are just like me. In fact, I think they’d be happy to snack all day long.
I like to try to make one homemade snack each week to have on hand to keep the hungries at bay and to toss in the kids’ lunchboxes for school. Some weeks it happens. Sometimes it doesn’t. Since I’ve been injured lately, I’ve got more time on my hands which means I’m more likely to whip up something.
Lately, we have been devouring these No-Bake Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars.
Full of good for you ingredients like oats, flax and chia seeds and peanut butter, it’s got the right combo of nutrients to keep us satisfied. Adding in chocolate chips sweetens the deal but you can easily leave them out and they taste just as good.
Adding seeds to homemade bar recipes is a great way to up the nutritional value. Did you know that ground flaxseed has 10 amino acids, is full of the powerful antioxidant-rich phytonutrient Lignans, is the best source of plant-based Omega-3 ALA, and is full of both insoluble (the kind that helps your digestive tract running smoothly!) and soluble fiber (the kind that may help lower your bad LDL cholesterol).
You can’t go wrong with it!
In addition to adding it to bars, you can put it in just about anything. It’s great in oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies, over steamed veggies or in baked goods like muffins or bread.
I like using Barlean’s Forti-Flax because it’s certified organic, Non-GMO verified and free of herbicides, pesticides and other chemical contaminants. You can find more information on Barlean’s products and where to buy on their website.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (gluten-free if needed)
- ½ cup ground flax seed (I use Barleans Forti-Flax)
- 3 Tbsp Chia seeds
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ - ½ cup honey
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Line a 11 x 7 dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix oats, ground flax, chia seeds and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Set aside.
- In small saucepan, warm on the stovetop peanut butter, honey and vanilla. Stirring till smooth. This can also be done in the microwave at 30 second intervals.
- Once peanut butter mixture is warmed, pour it over oat mixture. Stirring till combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop mix into prepared dish. Flatten with a rolling pin or your hand to desired thickness.
- Place bars in fridge to set for at least an hour.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!
The mix-ins for these bars are endless – nuts, dried fruit, swapping any nut or seed butter that you prefer. Go crazy! But not Incredible Hulk Crazy.
[Tweet “Keep the hungries away with No-Bake Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars! @barleans #eatcleanwithbarleans”]
Linking up with Foodie Friday.
What’s your favorite mix in for homemade bars?
Are you a snacker?