While out on my long run over the weekend, I started to think about life lessons. You know, the sayings that are plastered all over Pinterest and have been a staple in your life from birth.
Do unto others as you would have done onto you.
That kind of thing.
I then started to think about these life lessons and running. They are universal. Really, these lessons could apply to any physical activity where you have a goal – Cross Fit, weight lifting, swimming, cycling, yoga, boxing, etc. Running has become a life-changer for me, a passion, an outlet but sometimes it can even feel like the last thing on Earth that I want to do. I’ve learned so much more about myself in the past 3+ years of seriously running and finding/pushing my potential.
To live my life as a runner and a good human being, I just need to follow these simple 20 life lessons.
1. You cannot reach that finish line unless you start.
3. Do the best that YOU can do. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. Just be the best possible you. Run your own race.
4. No matter how hard you work and how prepared you are, disappointments will happen.
5. The most gratifying experiences usually come as a result of enduring the most painful trials.
6. If you focus on putting one foot in front of the other, you will eventually reach the finish line.
7. The mind is a very powerful thing. Training the mind is just as important as training the body.
8. Learning the difference between physically being unable to continue and giving up.
9. Accepting that every day is different — some days 5 miles is really easy, other days it feels like 50.
10. Enjoy the silence. There is too much noise in the world. Don’t be afraid of quiet, the sound of your breathing and foot falls.
12. A complete rest day at least once a week is needed.
13. The worst time, the slowest pace, the last person to finish the race is still better off than the person who refused to try.
14. Even if you fail, even if you cannot finish today, you can and should pick yourself up and try again tomorrow.
15. You’ve got to have patience. Faith. Goals.
16. Encourage others. Spread compliments. It makes everyone (including YOU) feel better.
17. Pace yourself. But don’t be afraid to run intuitively.
18. Run with your head up. Stay positive and confident. Look where you are going. And soak in as much of life as possible.
19. There is no finish line in life.
20. You are so much stronger than you think.
What life lessons have you learned from running or fitness?
More ways to follow Happy Fit Mama
Twitter → @happyfitmama
Facebook → Happy Fit Mama
Instagram → HAPPYFITMAMA
Pinterest → HappyFitMama