Last week was one strange week.
Instagram pic – Fire in the sky.
I had planned on it being a rest week post race. Rest – as in cross training but no running. Well it turned into a complete and total rest week. No running. No cross training. No nothing.
I mentioned already that I had a nasty migraine that hung around till Tuesday afternoon. Then I started to get a sore throat/nasal congestion cold from my little germ factory kiddos on Wednesday. My plan of cross training, yoga, strength workouts got placed on the back burner. Obviously, my body was trying to tell me something. My immune system was being attacked and wanted rest. So for once, I listened. It’s amazing what you learn as you get older!
I can’t remember the last time when I did not have one sweaty workout in 7 days. I think it’s been years. I fully support a rest day or two each week but rest weeks – not my thing.
So now that I’m well rested, do I feel completely rejuvenated after my break? As with everything, I noticed benefits and not so good results.
- Sleeping in till 6 a.m.! Although my body was still naturally waking up at zero dark thirty, I was able to fall back to sleep for a little bit more shut eye.
- Less laundry. No extra sweaty workout clothes to add to the ever present laundry pile.
- Lazy Saturday morning making waffles followed by a family walk.
- Sleep – I wasn’t sleeping as soundly as usual. I would wake 2-3 times a night and not be able to fall back to sleep. Very unusual for me. I’ve never had a problem falling or staying asleep.
- Aches and pains in new places. I felt like I was 90 years old. My knees, shoulders, elbows all were stiff. I’m blaming the lack of synovial fluid being warmed up with exercise to keep things lubricated. Now I know how some of my patients feel!
- Crabbiness. I was one cranky chick last week. My usual way of dealing with it is to sweat it out. I apologize to anyone I snapped at last week. It wasn’t me. It was the sweat trying to get out!
- Digestive. Sorry for the TMI but things weren’t flowing as usual in the digestive system.
On Sunday, I was feeling better from my cold and ready to get sweaty again. I busted out a 45 minute hill climb workout on the treadmill followed by weights and PT exercises.
It. felt. so. good.
I felt like my old self again.
Happy, smiling, sweaty!
Hopefully this week will be more like I had originally planned. Cross training, yoga, strength training. Fingers crossed no more bad luck is following me!
And that is truly marvelous!
How was your weekend?