Disclosure: This post was sponsored by belVita through their partnership with POPSUGAR. While I was compensated by POPSUGAR to write a post about belVita, all opinions are my own.
I wake up 5 minutes before my alarm goes off.
Sweet! I don’t have to hear that annoying sound. I loathe alarms and snooze buttons.
I tip toe down the stairs, avoiding the ones that creak, to change into my running clothes. I don’t want any little ears to wake up.
Phew! Made it.
I quietly dress, pull my hair back into a ponytail, slip on my running shoes and on a good day, head out the door. If it’s like the weather has been lately, I grab my iPad and head into the basement where the treadmill awaits me.
It’s time to run 10 miles (or more) before work.
I remember I was in a panic when I saw a weekday 10 miler on my first marathon training plan. Don’t they know I have to shower after my run, get the kids up, fed, dressed, dropped off at school all before 7:30 a.m. when I have to be at work?
My zero dark thirty run just got a little darker.
Thankfully, I’m a morning person. Even if morning occurs in the dark. There are a few things I’ve learned along the way that help make the morning run (haha) smoother.
How to Run 10 Miles (or more) Before Work
1. Prep and plan – Lay out your running clothes the night before. Are you running inside or out? Make sure you have all the gear you will need in addition to knowing your route if heading outside. For me, it’s sometimes easier to run on the treadmill when I’m time crunched. In addition, pick out your work clothes and pack lunch/snacks for the next day. Have everything in one spot so you won’t have to search for anything.
2. Set your alarm (or more than one if you need it) – I can’t stand the alarm clock. Thankfully, I rarely hear it since I naturally wake up a few minutes before it on most days.
3. Stretch/Foam Roll – Make sure you leave at least 5-10 minutes post run to stretch your tight muscles and roll out any kinks. Your legs will thank you later!
4. Eat – Your body worked hard, now it needs to refuel. The night before you can prep oats in a jar or grab a belVita Bites, fruit and Greek yogurt for a quick, on the go breakfast. Each packet of belVita Bites contains whole grains, fiber, no high fructose corn syrup, no partially hydrogenated oil and no artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. With two flavors, mixed berry or chocolate, it’s like eating cookies for breakfast. Can it be any better?
5. High 5 yourself – You just got in a long run before work, ate a nourishing breakfast to fuel your busy day, got the kids to school safely and yourself to work on time. Now I call that a #MorningWin.
What’s the longest run you’ve done on a weekday morning before work?
What’s a #MorningWin for you?