This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Stonyfield and YayLabs as a Stonyfield YoGetter. All opinions are my own, as always.
Yesterday was hot here in New Hampshire. Like 90 degrees hot. It was a roasty toasty day that I was dreaming of back in February (and March and April) when the temps were in the single digits and the snow was falling endlessly. It was marvelous!
It seemed like the perfect day for trying out the bright orange ball that arrived at our house last week thanks to Stonyfield and YayLabs. My kids had been itching to use it ever since it arrived. YayLabs is the maker of bright and fun Softshell Ice Cream Ball, that allows you to make ice cream anywhere.
My first trip to the grocery store for ingredients was a wash. There was no rock salt (which is needed to help freeze the ingredients) available. Kosher or sea salt is also an option, but I wanted the real deal “ice cream salt.” On my second trip, I found it mixed in with the charcoal. Who knew it would be there?
We loaded up our ice cream ball with Stonyfield yogurt, cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla. The options are endless but I thought it would be best to stick with something basic on our first attempt. Besides, you can’t go wrong with chocolate frozen yogurt! In the second compartment we packed in the ice and rock salt.
We were ready to roll, literally.
We sat in the grass and rolled the ball around. The kids grew tired of that so we moved on to rolling it throughout the yard however you could. That didn’t last long so I had them build an obstacle course to roll the ball through. According to their estimation, it was taking FOREVER to make frozen yogurt!
While they did that, Ron and I rolled it for a bit before I decided to get in a workout. It’s actually a pretty great med ball – just don’t do any ball slams!
After 25 minutes of rolling and curling, we had delicious, chocolate fro yo. We made our own little topping bar and went to town.
The perfect summer time treat.
Oh and please excuse the lack and quality of pictures of the actual FroYo. Like I said – it was 90 degrees and no one wanted to wait for me to take pictures.
Give us the FroYo NOW! 😉
- 1 pint of Stonyfield Whole Milk Plain or French Vanilla Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1. 5 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Toppings (optional): Crushed graham crackers, chocolate chips, chocolate covered sunflower seeds, sprinkles
- Mix ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the metal cylinder, leaving an inch at the top. Close securely.
- Fill outer chamber with as much ice as possible. Then add ½ cup of rock salt before closely lid tightly.
- Roll, shake or pass the ice cream ball for 25 minutes.
- Use a plastic or wooden spoon to scoop out frozen yogurt and enjoy with your favorite toppings.
What’s your favorite flavor of frozen yogurt or ice cream?
What would you make with your own YayLab ice cream ball?