Happy Labor Day to all my friends in the U.S.!
I’m sure this post will reach maybe 2 people today (THANK YOU if you are reading!) but I’m writing it more for me than anyone else. I’ve fallen off the goals bandwagon BIG time. I can’t even see the wagon anymore. That’s how far I’m gone. I feel like I’m floundering and don’t know what direction to head in. I thought a good place to start would be to check in with my goals from back at the end of June when I did a mid year evaluation and added some new goals.
Mid Year Re-evaluation Goals for 2012
- Finish Smuttynose Rockfest Marathon – no time expectations! I just want to finish in one piece.
- Date nights – Ron and I have never hired a babysitter for the kids. I think it’s time. We need some alone time away from the house. I’d be happy if we had a date night at least 1 time in the next 6 months!
- Unplug and Be Present – Step away from the computer and phone while I’m with my family. Real life is way better. I like this Mama’s idea of setting office hours.
- Go on a REAL vacation. I’m not talking stay-cation or taking time off from work because relatives are visiting. I’m talking the real deal. I feel like I haven’t gone anywhere in the past 2 years.
Here’s where I’m at:
Goal #1 – We all know that goal isn’t happening. I am planning on doing the half marathon. My intention is to finish injury free and feeling good. No time expectations. I am going to try really, really hard not to let my competitive side come out. This race is my test before I look for another marathon. I still hope to get a full in before the end of the year. Hopefully, it will be good and I can move on in preparation.
Goal #2 – We had one date night back in July for my friend Erika’s wedding. Haven’t planned another. I jokingly told Ron our next date night should be to a Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson concert that will be in the area this month. I hope he realized I was definitely not serious. I think I’d rather scrub toilets with a toothbrush than sit through that. 🙂
Goal #3 – It’s a constant struggle to unplug and be present. I’m beginning to think that the term ‘Healthy Living Blogger’ is not possible. I’ve been neglecting my health and fitness in the past few months by gluing myself to the computer/iphone the moment the kids go down for a nap or to bed. What’s so healthy about that? And it’s definitely not living! It’s especially prevalent on days that I am at work. I feel like I need to catch up on emails, commenting on other blogs, replying to comments on my blog, putting together new posts or freelance work, twitter chats, etc. I can’t tell you how many days in the past month that I’ve intended to do yoga, weights, stretch, walk, and workout in general in the evening and it didn’t happen because I got sucked into the social media vortex.
So my plan for tackling this:
- My health comes first. I need to stretch, workout, whatever, first and foremost. The computer will be there when I’m done.
- I can’t do it all. That might mean I can’t reply to every comment each day. If you ask a specific question, I will try my hardest to get back to you asap. I will also have to pick X amount of blogs that I can comment on each day. I appreciate every single person that reads my blog. I know everyone is just as busy if not more than me. Time is precious for all.
- Schedule, schedule, schedule! I’m one of those people that loves to follow a schedule or a list. If it’s written down, I will follow it.
I’m hoping this will get me started getting back on track mentally and physically.
Goal #4 – Hmmmmm…a REAL vacation. What’s that? Haven’t even talked about that. Ron and I did discuss going to Michigan at some point during the Holidays. However, that is sooooo not a real vacation.
I think those four goals are enough to work on in September. Goal #3 is going to be the hardest for sure.
Any suggestions? What works for you?
Enjoy the rest of the long weekend!