After almost 18 weeks of early mornings, countless tempos, speed sessions at the track and three 20 milers, I am looking at my first DNS.
Did not start.
Technically the race hasn’t started yet – it’s Sunday, October 19th.
But I know that I am not going to be there at least for the full marathon. My Achilles is getting better. But my newest pain is from a lumbosacral segment dysfunction – a fancy term for a sprained lower back (L5 and SI). I think this happened at some point during our hike last weekend. There were multiple times where I twisted and turned in weird directions to catch either of the kids from tumbling down the mountain or tripping. In addition, I was probably compensating for my bum Achilles with every step.
As of Sunday night (when I’m writing this), I have not run at all. I tried on Thursday but I took two steps and was in so much pain from my back. In fact, it hurt to even walk at times. And forget about standing on my right leg. Yowch!
So even if by some divine intervention, I feel 100% better by marathon day, I will still take a DNS. I can’t risk the what if’s. I’ve got Hawaii in 9 weeks. And there’s something else that is coming up after that. I need to be healthy. I can’t take the risk of injuring myself even more.
Baystate was supposed to be my goal marathon. The state that I’m in right now, I am nowhere close to goal marathon shape. It pains me to “waste” all those weeks of training but I know it’s for the best. As shitty as it is.
My priority right now is taking care of my back first and foremost. I have never had back pain like this. It freaks me out. To not even be able to walk without wincing in pain at times, is scary. You don’t mess with your back!
My treatment plan is in motion. I met with a sports chiropractor on Saturday. I haven’t been to a chiropractor in 18 years and have been hesitant about going again. It’s a silly reason but I went with a chiropractor just because it was the easiest to get into. If I went to a PT, I’d have to jump threw hoops because of my insurance and the referrals needed. That would take more time.
At my initial assessment, she adjusted me, did ultrasound and Graston on my Achilles as well as muscle stimulation on both areas. Saturday afternoon I was hurting. I hobbled just to walk a 1/4 mile home from the park with my kids. But Sunday was better. Not nearly as much pain and I was even able to do yoga with no problem. Which felt simply marvelous.
I had emailed the race directors about possibly deferring my entry to next year. Not possible but I may be able to drop down to the half at bib pick up. As I get closer to the weekend, I’ll make that decision. As of right now, it’s a NO.
My fingers and toes are crossed that this is the right course to lead me back to running. I know I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again –
I just want to run!
Have you ever had a DNS?