It’s January and I’ve been getting the winter blahs. Gray skies and chilly temps have me craving warm weather, sunshine, and green grass. Spring fever has hit! Unless Ron has a surprise tropical vacation planned, it’s going to be a few months before any of that is going to be a reality.
The combination of blueberry and lemon always make me thing of Spring. Lemons smell fresh and clean. And blueberries, well, they just taste wonderful! We were running low on our freezer stock of mini muffins for snacks so I decided to bring a taste of Spring to a blah January day. Adding Chia seeds gives a boost in nutrition and little crunch.
I’m a huge fan of Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Almond Milk. I use it daily in my green smoothies, oats or making vegan sauces for dinner. I love the nutty flavor it brings to recipes! Plus, it’s only 30 calories for one cup and lower in sugar than skim milk. Adding unsweetened almond milk to the mini muffins was a no brainer!
- ½ cup Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Raw Honey or Agave
- ¾ cup Unsweetened Silk Pure Almond Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 whole Lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons Chia Seeds
- ½ cup Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine coconut oil and honey/agave. Mix in unsweetened almond milk, eggs and vanilla. Then lemon juice and zest.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Gently mix dry ingredients into wet. Fold in Chia seeds and blueberries till combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into greased mini muffin tins. Fill each ¾ full. Bake 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven to cool.
If you are hoping for a sweet sugary muffin, these muffins aren’t for you. The sweetness comes mostly from the blueberries. Nature’s candy – isn’t that sweet enough?
If you are looking for more recipes on how to use Silk Pure Unsweetened Almond Milk, check out their Facebook page for 30 recipes from some of my favorite bloggers. You can also find Silk on Twitter. It’s time to Rethink almond milk!
FitFluential LLC compensated me for this Campaign. All opinions are my own.