I’ve been having to do WAY too many runs on my treadmill lately. While I can tolerate it, I much, much, much rather be outside. When the temps are -2 degrees, it’s icy or I only have a short window of time available to get a run in, the treadmill wins. I’m thankful I have it otherwise I’d be a wee bit crabby on those days.
Running on a treadmill does have its benefits:
- Climate controlled – no worries of it raining inside. If you have that problem, I suggest you call a plumber.
- Less risk of injury from weather conditions. When running in the snow and ice, form is thrown off completely. The last thing you want is an injury!
- Speed work. I sometimes have a hard time kicking up the pace fast enough for speed work on the open road. The treadmill takes the guess work out of it.
- Helps you learn to run at a consistent pace.
- Builds mental toughness. It’s BORING but it takes self-motivation and commitment to stick it out. Two things that are key to training and racing.
I know I’m not the only one who is forced inside at times. Here are my 5 favorite treadmill workouts of varying distances and intensities. The next time you are stuck with the “dreadmill” just remember – ANY run is better than none!
Treadmill – Love it, tolerate it or absolutely no way, not going to do it?