Hope you all had an absolutely marvelous weekend! I know I did. The weather made a turn towards Spring again. We soaked it up cheering on runners at a 5k and getting to know the cows at the university on Saturday. We lucked out with the weather on Sunday too. The forecast called for rain and wind but I was overjoyed for the sunshine at the start of the 2014 Wallis Sands Half Marathon.
I haven’t gone into a half marathon like this in quite some time. I usually live and breath by training plans. I just really, really like it. This time around I didn’t have a plan. It seems like a lot longer but I’ve only built up my mileage again since my tendon injury within the past month. My plan was to run the race for fun. If it felt good to push, I would. If it didn’t, no big deal. This was not a goal race.
Prior to the start, I got an easy mile warm up. I ran into a friend in line for the potties before meeting up with Kailey. We were starting in different waves so we chatted a bit before I went to line up.
Usually when I do a race recap, I’ll dish on the the splits. Well, that’s not happening today. My wonderful fully charged Garmin decided to fill up with too much data at mile 3. I’ve got no numbers to share.
Yes, that’s right. I ran naked.
That’s another thing that I haven’t done at a race in a very long time. It was a little strange not knowing my pace or hearing the reassuring BEEP at every mile. There were milemarkers but no pace clocks. This run really was all about feel.
So instead of the numbers, you’re getting
13.1 Thoughts for 13.1 Miles
1. At the start – Why am I tearing up to Bruce Springsteen “The Rising?” I’m such a sap.
2. Pew! That guy stinks already and we haven’t even begun to run. Must get upwind.
3. We’re off! I feel great. I am so thrilled to run. I love the ocean. It’s a gorgeous day to be alive.
4. I’m glad I wore a tank. The sun is warm. Isn’t that girl roasting with a jacket on?
5. Pew! Stinky guy is back. When’s the last time he took a shower? His hair looks like a grease pit. Must.pass.him.for.good.
6. I could really go for a margarita. #AllTheSaltPlease
7. I wonder what my pace is? I feel slow.
8. Almost time to see Ron and the kids! Maybe I should catch a ride with them to the finish?
9. There they are! Hhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!
10. Only 5k left! You can do this. 5k’s really aren’t that bad. I would have been done running a long time ago if this was just a 5k.
11. Where did everyone go? I’m by myself? Uh-oh, losing steam. Need someone to chase to push me.
12. Holy wind! Seriously, there’s only 1 mile left and now I have to fight the wind?
13. Ok, wind. You are pissing me off. Must push. Finish strong. Head down, pump your arms, turnover those legs. GO!
.1 DONE! I need to sit down.
Official time was 1:50:04. 8:25 pace. Not a PR and not my course best. BUT I had fun. I felt good for most of the race. Despite beginning to tire near mile 9, it was a great confidence boosting race in that my tendon felt good. I felt comfortable. Could I have run faster. Oh yes. But I’m glad I laid low.
There will be plenty of other races to go fast.
How was your weekend?
How often do you run naked?
What thoughts pop into your head during a run/race?