I kind of love ’em. They make me happier and give me a purpose to pursue. I always would set goals for myself before my blog but I never told anyone what they were. Never wrote them down. They were locked up tight in my conscious. Needless to say, I forgot what most of them were by February 1st. Since I’ve been putting my goals out for all to see, I actually have been more successful. And not surprisingly, more confident even though I don’t succeed at all of them.
So before I move on with this year, let’s look at how I did last year.
Goals for 2013
- Train and complete a full marathon injury free – Completed but am still dealing with the injury that began right before the race.
- Try trail running – Did a trail race!
- Run 1500 miles for the year – Made it to 1125 despite not running for more than 1/4 of the year because of injury mentioned above.
- PR in half marathon, 1:45 – Nope. Missed it by 2 minutes.
- 13 races of varying distance in 2013 – Completed 20 virtual and IRL races of varying distances.
- Become a certified running coach – Didn’t make it in. Registration fills up fast!
- Maintain yoga practice of 2-3x/week – Some weeks were better than others. My favorite studio closed and I’m still in search of a new one that I like.
- Increase strength training 3x/week. Possibly try CrossFit – Most weeks it was 2-3x. I didn’t join a CrossFit Box but have been doing my own WOD at home.
- Date night at least every other month – Haven’t done any date nights but Ron and I have been trying to do date days. However, it was more like every three months.
- Read 6 books – YES! Finally. I also hooked up with a book club.
- Find more freelance writing opportunities – Didn’t pursue that at all.
- Get out of my comfort zone. Meet more new people, try new activities I wouldn’t otherwise, be fearless, take chances, etc. – I’d give myself a 70% on that one. I didn’t try as much as I should have because of fear and doubt.
- Find a healthy balance in life, work and hobbies – Better than last year.
Last year my focus was on finding BALANCE in life, work and hobbies. I can honestly say it’s better than this time last year. I’m still horrible about my iphone. I check it way too much.
14 Goals for 2014
- Read a book a month
- Attend a blog conference
- Increase overall strength – NO running injuries this year!
- Run more trails
- Complete new local road race series. Lots of 5ks involved so I’ll FINALLY be able to say I ran a 5k!
- 14 races of varying distances in 2014
- Run 1500 miles.
- 1:45 half marathon PR
- Kick a marathons ass rather than it kicking mine. 🙂
- Start a run club in my town.
- Find a yoga studio to call home.
- Put a plan of action together about where I’d like to go career wise – Become a certified running coach, Wellness coach, start personal training again, Yoga teacher training, etc.
- Travel more. I’ll go anywhere!
- More self care time. I work out. I eat right. But I seriously am slacking on the little things since having kids – Like taking time to get my hair cut more than once every six months or getting a pedicure because my feet are a snarled mess after marathon training.
My focus this year is on being fearless. Fear is what stops me from completing a lot of goals. Fear of failure. Fear of the unknown. Fear of being uncomfortable. Fear shakes my confidence. I always take the safe route. I always think of the “What if’s?” Of course that’s smart for some things but I want to try new things. I want to meet new people. I want to do rather than talk. I want to get out of my comfort zone.
Because you know what they say? That’s where the magic happens.
Do you set goals?
Do you have a word of the year?