The following post is sponsored by Fit Approach and Lorna Jane.
The Holidays are here!
I’ve got the Christmas spirit. It’s a time for celebration, family, joy and lots of fun. It’s also a time for high stress. Finding just the right gift, the crowds, dealing with extended family that you may not see that often and travel headaches.
Just typing all that stressed me out!
Staying fit during the Holidays is a must. When your social calendar is full, the last thing you want to do is drop your daily workout. Studies show that women who stop exercising entirely from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day lose an average of 20% of their cardiovascular fitness. That’s a lot! I know for me, a daily sweat session is also the absolute best way to combat stress. If I miss it, I turn into the biggest Grinch there ever was. No one needs to see that!
Over the years I’ve found a few tips to help combat holiday stress, over indulgence and how to stick to your exercise routine. There is no reason you can’t stay on track, enjoy the season and enter the New Year in a healthy and happy place – and of course, avoid the unwanted gift of extra pounds!
1. Rise and Sweat! I know not everyone is a sick and twisted early riser like me. BUT what other activities (besides sleeping) are usually scheduled at that time? Parties, shopping, after work drinks with friends – that’s all happening in the evening. Get it done first thing before life gets in the way. Try setting your alarm 10 or 15 minutes earlier for one week. The first few days may be a little rough but you will get used to it. And you might even find you kind of like it. You could even give one of these No Equipment Needed Workouts a try to get started!
2. Instagram Challenges. I’ve got a confession. I’ve fallen off my yoga mat. Waaaaaaay off. I miss it and how my body feels from doing it. To get myself back on the mat, I started participating in the #MerryYogis yoga photo a day challenge. There are a few other challenges that I may pop in on throughout the month. I’m really looking forward to Nicole’s #HumbleAsana Challenge starting December 8th. IG challenges are great for accountability and to form a new habit.
3. Eat in Balance. If I said I wasn’t going to enjoy any decadent Holiday treats, I would be utterly and completely lying. But that doesn’t mean I’m going all out, all day, everyday. Loads of sugar will pack on the pounds, make you crabby and overall zap your energy. But on the other hand, depriving yourself is not healthy, either. On days when I have a little more sugary treats than usual, I strive for balance. I’ll go heavy on the veggies and lean protein.
4. Healthify Recipes. This drives Ron nuts since I’m always trying to healthify a recipe. I make him try to guess the ingredients and how I modified it. Why add sugar when the natural sweetness of food is already there? I’m loving the new Move Over Sugar Recipe Book from Move Nourish Believe (part of Lorna . It’s full of over 50 sweet recipes containing nothing but real food. You can download it for FREE HERE. I love smoothies but when the temps drop, I can’t even fathom anything cold. But I have been loving the recipe for a Hot Chocolate Smoothie. Who knew a smoothie could be hot?
5. New Workout Gear. Nothing gets me motivated to bust out a run or a sweat session than new gear. I’ve got the new kicks, now I’m just waiting for my new Lorna Jane outfit to arrive. As part of the Holiday Fit List Bloggers, I was to wear test a complete outfit. However, there was a shipping glitch that prevented me from showing it off to you today. Don’t worry! You’ll be sure to see it pop on on here and all of my social media feeds as I’m sweating it out this month.
Lorna Jane wants to get you motivated and fit! Here’s your chance to win a $250 Lorna Jane gift card! Click HERE to enter!
If you can’t wait, you can get 20% off at Lorna Jane right now. Simply enter the code SHOPLJ at checkout.
Join me and the other #holidayfitlist bloggers for a Twitter party tonight at 8 pm EST!
Check it out and stay fit during the Holidays!
While this post was sponsored by FitApproach on behalf of Lorna Jane, all thoughts and opinions are my own, as always.
What are your tips for staying fit during the Holidays?