10 Reasons I’m Thankful for Running
1. It makes my legs strong and muscular. I may not squat heavy weights like I used to, but my legs still look like I do. My stems can carry me up mountains and through many miles without complaining one bit. Except for the occasional injury, but we won’t think about that right now.
2. It gets me outside. The more time I’m outside being active, the more sane I am. I love to see the world around me on a run. Whether it’s a sunrise, the fall leaves, the ocean, or cute little neighborhoods, it’s all better while seen on my run.
3. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and pride. To hear a non-runner exclaim, “You ran how many miles???” always makes me stand up a little taller. Yeah I did that. And I’ll probably run farther tomorrow.
4. It keeps me focused. When I don’t run, I’m distracted. I forget to pick up my kids from school. With it, I can sort, plan and just think out any problem. I may not always have the solution, but at least I can quiet the other noise in my head and focus.
5. New shoes, clothes and gear. No explanation needed, right?
6. It’s always there. I can run anywhere, anytime. It’s never closed. I don’t need a membership card.
7. It’s opened up new opportunities. Did I ever think that I would be running the Honolulu Marathon? Or running the Boston Marathon with Team Stonyfield in 2015? A far fetched dream that is now becoming a reality.
8. It makes me feel alive. The moment in a 5k when every muscle in your body is burning, pleading for you to stop. The moment when your lungs are screaming as you run up, what seems like, the 10,000 hill repeat. The moment when you are so drenched in sweat from a run that it looks like you went swimming. My body is functioning and healthy. That’s when I feel the most alive.
9. It’s taught me life lessons. Set goals, work hard, dedication, persistence, patience – you get what you put in. It’s that simple.
10. It’s brought new friends to my life. In the past year or so, I’ve been blessed to have found some really great running friends. Our runs have been a time to get together, chat nonstop, laugh and just sweat it out. There really is nothing better than bonding over a run.
I’m also thankful for each and every one of you! I can not thank you enough for being a part of my little section of the internet. I appreciate it!
I’m planning on taking the rest of the week off to spend some time with the family. Next week I’ve got the ultimate gift guide for runner’s that includes some pretty sweet prizes. You won’t want to miss that!
What are you thankful for?